My daughter doesn’t like fish so much, she prefers the “fast-food” version of fish, also known as fish-fingers. I avoid giving my children packaged foods, so I try to make the healthy version of those foods, if I can find one. In Switzerland, where we live, it isn’t so easy to find fresh fish. The most common fresh fish here is cod, so I decided to try this new recipe and make something a little more appealing for my kids. That’s why I want to share with you how to make cod fish fingers.
When my daughter saw me with my hands full of flour, she didn’t want to be left out, so she offered to help. Since she helped prepare this recipe, she said that the “fish nuggets” were really yummy! I was happy to include her in the preparation, of course.
Did you know that cod is an important source of selenium and Omega 3, among other vitamins and minerals?
Cod is very rich in vitamins and minerals, and excels in 2 essential nutrients: selenium and omega 3. Just 200 grams of cod cover 60-70% of the recommended daily amount of selenium. Furthermore, the same portion covers 80% of the daily amount of Omega 3 we need according to the Spanish Heart Foundation.
Selenium is essential for the integrity of the cells, as it participates in their protection against agents that can oxidize and destroy them. Besides being essential to prevent cardiovascular diseases, Omega 3 is also important for the maintenance of brain function. These fats manufacture the cell membranes and promote the formation of new brain cells.
Fish fingers or nuggets recipe
To make this recipe, I decided to ground the fish so that I could mix it better with the ingredients that I wanted to add. I love garlic, so I mixed it in with the fish when I processed it, the taste was really good.
Also I added the spices and salt to the flour directly. I made the flour from oats, a coarse flour. But you can use any flour for this recipe.
Ingredients for the fish fingers
- Fish (I used cod, but you can use your favourite)
- Garlic (optional and to taste)
- Ground oats or the flour of your choice
- Salt, pepper, onion powder or any other spice you like
- 1 egg
- a bit of milk
- oil or butter
- Grind the oats if that’s what you want to use
- Mix the flour with the spices and put this mixture in a container
- Beat the egg, add the milk in another container
- Processing the fish together with the garlic
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC
- Make fish balls and coat them with the egg
- Cover the balls with the flour mixture, form fingers or nuggets
- Fry the fish fingers on both sides
- Once they are browned, put them in the oven for 15 minutes.
The fish fingers are ready as soon as the inside is cooked. It is not always necessary to use the oven. It’s easy for me because it keeps them warm until the rest of the food is ready.
Did you like this recipe? Now that you know how to make cod fish fingers share this recipe on Facebook!