Looking through my recipes, I found a cauliflower rice recipe. I was keen to venture into trying it again. I know that not everyone in my family likes this vegetable. I usually hide it from them, but this time its presence in our dishes would be very obvious.
I still thought this would be a great option for me, during this period of time, I inevitably have a few extra kilos, so I’m choosing to eat fewer carbs on days when my body doesn’t really need them.
To make this “rice”, many people grate the cauliflower into tiny pieces. You can also use a food processor, like this one.
I followed the full recipe for the rice and made the whole thing, even though I knew that I probably wouldn’t finish it.
Cauliflower rice recipe
- Spring onion, we only use the green part in this recipe, the white part you can use in another dish
- 600g cauliflower, cut into equal pieces or grated
- Salt and pepper
- Oil or butter
- Chop the green part of the onion
- Add the grated cauliflower (or process it to rice size)
- Add salt and pepper
- Fry it in a little oil or butter until it is soft enough, without losing the shape of the rice
In the end I had more than half of this beautiful rice from the cauliflower. As I mentioned earlier, not everyone in my family likes it, so I decided to make cream of cauliflower with the leftovers.
What I did was stir-fry the rest of the rice with a little bit of butter. Then I added about half a liter of water, and I let it cook all together.
In the end I added a little more salt and blended everything to make a cauliflower cream. My kids didn’t even know they were eating cauliflower from the day before. They all liked it.
If you want to make the cream of cauliflower from scratch, I’ve listed the recipe below.
Cauliflower cream recipe
- Spring onion (use both parts)
- Salt and pepper
- Water, or better yet, chicken or vegetable broth
- Cut the onion into squares
- Cut the cauliflower into small, uniform pieces
- Fry the onion in butter
- Add the cut cauliflower
- Add water and cook for approximately 15-20 minutes
- Mix everything together
This recipe in a vegan version is very easy. Instead of butter, use coconut oil, for example. The cream doesn’t need milk at all; it got very creamy without adding any dairy.
And to finish off this recipe, I’ll tell you a little bit about the benefits of cauliflower and why it should be in your diet:
- It has a low glycemic index
- High in fiber
- It has vitamin C
- It contains sulforaphanes, an antioxidant that helps protect us from cancer and other heart diseases.
- It also helps digestion and the feeling of satiety, especially for those of us who want to get rid of a few pounds.
I hope you will try some of these recipes. If you you make one of them this week, share them on Facebook or Instagram and tag me, I’d love to see your creations!
Some recipes or posts on this blog contain affiliate links.